Sunday, December 15, 2013

Introduction

It's a weird thing living up here in South Dakota... There isn't much to do and as I sit here writing, it's 5 degrees outside.  That is, assuming you're in a box that the wind can't penetrate because if not, it's more like 20 below.  The kicker is according to the weather man we just started a warm front.  What do people do then you might ask?  Well, if you take a drive down many of the roads here in Sioux Falls, you'll see that many people have taken refuge inside one of the many bars that dot our town. 

I've ventured into most of these establishments and on a good day will find one that sells Sam Adams Boston Lager.  If I don't want that, I get the light yellow, slightly carbonated stuff that most Americans call "beer."  "Craft beer?" is usually the response I get, along with a dumbfounded stare down as they question my sanity for ordering anything other than the big three.  You can imagine my horror as a home brewer that recently moved from Colorado...

This was frequently the case 2 years ago when I moved from Colorado to South Dakota.  Beer capitol of the west to ...ice capitol of the west...? Since then our craft scene has gotten better.  It is a long way off from many other places however a few pretty good brew pubs have opened up in town and the bars with waitresses that stared at you like you may as well have asked them for their first born child now carry upwards of 25 different beers. 

Still, the best way to get what you want is to make it yourself.  This has been, is, and in my opinion, always will be the best way to get the best beers.  A little bit of equipment is involved but that is easy to get and pretty inexpensive really.  The hard part is creativity, imagination and experimentation.  You know... the things they say all children have but adults always lose somewhere along the way.

For the most part, this is the way I get my beer.  I make it myself and enjoy the benefits of good company, good times, and good beer.  There are times however, that I like to see what's out there in the craft scene.  I'm not opposed to picking up a brewer's pack of winter brews during the season. Maybe I'll be inspired for my next brew day.  See an IPA that calls for a hop I've never used before?  Pick it up!

This is what I'll be writing about.  There will be a little mix of home brew stuff: equipment, ingredients, etc.... You can find most of that anywhere though. Just google home brew and spend the next 72 hours of your life burning your eyes out as you stare at all of the information out there.  I will write about whatever strikes me that day, however I will focus mainly on beer itself.  Style, flavor, history, etc... and anything that might be interesting about it.  I'm laid back and open to new things so lets go explore the infinite world of beer.  After all... they say it was because of beer that civilization took off in the first place. We may as well enjoy all that it has to offer!

No comments:

Post a Comment